After the Maserati family sold out to Adolfo Orsi and the factory moved from Bologna to Modena, World War ll intervened and car production was suspended. But Maserati returned vigorously to the postwar fray with exclusive cars that were built around the company’s powerful straight six engines. The A6 Sport (also known rather more laboriously as the Tipo 6CS/46) was a barchetta (open-top two-seater racing car) prototype by Ernesto Maserati and Albert Massimino.
This was transformed into the A6 1500 two-door berlinetta (coupe) by Pininfarina first shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 1947. Only 59 of these low-slung, stylish machines were ever built, along with just two of the spider convertible versions shown at the 1948 Turin Motor Show. The line was discontinued in 1950.
A further development was the introduction of the two-seater A6GCS, with a larger two liter engine. The company’s real emphasis was on producing engines and chassis that would succeed on Europe’s racing circuits, and various manifestations of the CGS (including single-seaters and cycle-wing versions) duly obliged, becoming one of the great race cars and laying firm foundations for Maserati’s track success that continued through the 1950s, with the heroic red-trident badged machines repeatedly being driven to victory by such luminaries as Juan-Manuel Fangio. A typical CGS racing car was capable of 130 mph (205 km/h) with blistering acceleration to match. Just 16 of these cars were produced before they were superseded by the iconic A6GCS/53.
But a sideline in road cars was maintained, and the early 1950s saw the basic A6G rolling chassis with alloy engine being supplied to the likes of Pininfarina, Zagato, Bertone, Pietro Frua, Vigriale and Carrozzeria Allemano, who created a few stylish coupes and roadsters to maintain the Maserati A6’s road-going credentials.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
1947 (until 1953)
1,488 cc (A6 1500), 1,980 cc (A6GCS) Straight Six .
Top speed of 95 mph (153 km/h).
YOU SHOULD KNOW:
During World War Il an unseemly race developed between Maserati and Volkswagen to develop the first prestigious V16 town car for their respective dictators, Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler – but neither succeeded.